Humans have varied feelings over wasabi. Many sushi-eaters love the condiment while others cannot tolerate it.…
No! According to the Pet Poison Helpline, grapes are toxic to dogs, whether fresh or dried into raisins. The exact substance that makes it poisonous has not yet been pinpointed.
Evidence, however, suggests that the toxic component may be located in the flesh, therefore, peeling it doesn’t make it a safe dog treat.
What happens when a dog eats grapes?
Whether for German Shepherds or dogs of other breeds, the MSD Manual states that grape toxicity could lead to renal failure. More obvious reactions include diarrhea and vomiting. Most dogs will also exhibit a loss of appetite, weakness, lethargy, and even tremors.
Almost immediately after eating some grapes, a blood test will show a rise in serum creatinine levels, a sure sign of impaired kidney function.
If kidney function continues to worsen within 24 to 72 hours of grape consumption, it could lead to death or a veterinarian’s recommendation for euthanasia.
How is grape poisoning treated in dogs?
As soon as a dog consumes some grapes or raisins, it’ll be a race against time. It’s essential to take them to the vet right away. Very likely, your veterinarian will induce vomiting to minimize exposure and also get rid of toxins that your dog hasn’t absorbed.
They may also treat them with a gastric lavage or activated charcoal to further help flush out toxins. Your dog will be monitored for at least 48 hours.
Throughout that time, they will be given plenty of fluids, and their kidney function will be continuously monitored.
A dog’s reaction to ingesting grapes can be uncomfortable, at best or at worst, it can and has resulted in death.
A friend unknowingly gave my Rottweiler a few grapes and luckily he didn’t show any negative symptoms, however, I would NEVER knowingly give my dog grapes. It’s a gamble I don’t want to take.
Keep your German Shepherd safe by keeping grapes — including raisins and currants — out of reach at all times.
Also, make sure everyone in your household knows not to toss grapes to your pup as a treat. Lastly, if you suspect that your GSD could have consumed some grapes or grape products, don’t hesitate to take them to the vet right away.
Learn about other foods German Shepherds cannot eat here!